Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm Number 225!

Next Monday I will be playing in my second ever Minnesota State Mid-Amateur golf tournament. Amateur means non-pro of course. "Mid" means "30 or older" somehow. Perhaps because it's for people nearing mid-life. Personally, I think it should be at least 35, probably 40, before you start giving age advantages in state tournaments. The Senior tournaments don't start until age 55. No, that's not a typo. The professionals get to play Senior events at age 50, thanks to Arnie, but not the Amateurs, unless they qualify to play in the Open tournaments.

There will be a full field at the Edina Country Club and Braemar (Public) Golf Course, 240 in all. I rank tied for 225th with two others, based on current handicap index. (Don't ask how long it took me to figure that out.) I'm a 5.3; you have to be 6.4 or better to play. My goals last year were to 1) Not embarrass myself, and 2) Not finish last. Sort of a Glen Mason style of play (playing not to lose).

Except for one memorably bad shot, I accomplished #1. I also accomplished goal #2, except that when the newspaper published the results, they cut it off at my score, making it appear that I finished last. That embarrassed me, so I guess in a way I didn't accomplish my goals.

I tee off Monday at noon on hole #10 at Edina CC. It's a long par 5 with out of bounds all along the left side (a street, even). I'm a right-hander who has been fighting a pull-hook all year. Good luck with that one. I'm tempted to use four-iron and play for a working man's par. I don't need to pull-hook three shots out of bounds and take a 12 on the first hole.

That would be embarrassing; and last place would be in reach.

No comments: