Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cell Phones

I got a Blackberry through work several months ago, but still use my old cell phone. My two-year plan with Sprint is not up for another few months yet, and we all know how impossible breaking those contracts are. I use the Blackberry to occasionally check work e-mails, but that's about it.

I'm not big on having the latest and greatest in technology, with some exceptions when it is truly beneficial to my hobbies and such. For example, I got a SkyCaddie when they were still this mystery device seen in SkyMall magazines. But I haven't upgraded to one of the "new and improved," in color, and even satellite photo-using models. I've almost lost it on the golf course a few times, but I'm still hanging on to my old SG-2 model as long as it continues to suffice.

I also bought a bat speed meter back around 1990. It was expensive, but extremely useful. After all, how do you know if you're getting better if you can't measure it? It would be like lifting weights without ever keeping track of how heavy they are. I never had to replace that, either. It looks (and feels) like a dinosaur, but functions just fine, even though I'm retired from softball(again). I plan on training my sons with it as soon as I get it back from a friend who borrowed it for his son. I can wait; they're still pre-K.

So even when I get the latest in technology, I'm not looking to replace it just because it comes out in a new model. When my wife and I got our Samsung Instinct phones with our Sprint plan, I was less than enthused. She thought they were awesome - Samsung's version of the iPhone! I found myself wishing I had an old plain cell phone, and a smaller monthly bill to go with it.

But I will give it this: it's durable as heck. I left it on top of my car a couple weeks ago, and you can tell it got run over at least once. A nice Eagan police officer found it. It still works, although when using the touch screen, you have to press the item below the one you want. I've accidentally called (and hung up on) some folks on my speed dial, and it's not even worth trying to text or access the Net with it, but it's impressive nonetheless, and I'll stick with it until our plan expires. Then I'll probably downgrade our plan to one phone, and make the Blackberry my only mobile device.

I might even get it upgraded by my employer from time to time, but I'd be fine if not.

No comments: