Monday, January 10, 2011

A Bowling Video Even Non-Bowlers Can Enjoy

My dad once told a story to me of the first time he ever went bowling and how he made a strike...on the wrong lane. Somehow, the ball bounced over the gutters and struck on the adjacent lane, although I am not sure which one (to the left or right).

Over the years I gradually came to wonder about the story, until I pretty much forgot it altogether. Last year, an old friend with whom I used to bowl in our youth reminded me of it, and I again wondered, "Did he really do it? Did I remember the story correctly?"

I no longer have reason to doubt my father's story. At the Team USA Bowling Trials recently, the below video was captured. I've already spoiled it for you, but it's still worth a look.

The bowler rolls two conventional, although somewhat fortunate strikes first (one was a light hit, the other heavy), but notice from where he begins his approach. This was made necessary by the difficulty of the lane conditions at the time. As you can perhaps imagine, it can be an intimidating shot for those not used to playing it in their house leagues.

If you'd rather, just skip to the payoff at about the 0:52 mark. Enjoy! (And check out the fist pump after the shot is over!)




No comments: