Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Aching Back

After a couple of weeks of gradual progress with my back healing, this past weekend it took a turn for the worse. I decided to go into urgent care, and the good news is no surgery is needed.

I may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but I'll leave the medical diagnoses to the professionals from now on. Based on my symptoms and some random anecdotes I'd read and heard, I was certain something was much more wrong than a little misalignment.

Imagine the disks as toy blocks, each separated by a small gap. They should all be square/parallel with each other. The X-Rays showed that one of mine, the one where all of my pain originates, was just a little off square. Physical Therapy is what the doctor prescribed, as well as some potent pain killers. No chiropractic, no surgery.

The bad news is no heavy lifting either, for a while at least, even in exercises where I don't feel my back at all, such as the bench press. My wife warned me about that, telling me I shouldnt' be lifting while it's hurting, and the doc confirmed it when I asked him.

I hate it when she's right.

No comments: