Monday, April 29, 2013

2013 USBC Open Championship

It's 5:01 AM PDT, and I'm in my room at the Sands Regency in Reno, Nevada, logged in to look at work emails for the bargain price of $12.99.

That's for the WiFi, not the room.  The room was a nice $32 even after taxes, but I only stayed the one night, because the Friday and Saturday night rates were much higher.  So I opted for the cheaper, in every meaning of the word, Motel 6 for the first two nights of my trip.

After getting about 3 hours of low-quality sleep, thinking about having to pack, check out, check in for my flight, and return the rental car, I decided that as long as I'm going to get poor sleep, no sleep can't be much worse, and perhaps I'll get a few productive things done. So I went through my "urgent" work e-mails and other tasks, but not until after reconsidering what items I consider "urgent" from my hotel room at 5:01 on my day off.

I figured I might as well instead blog about the Open Championship bowling tournament I just completed, my third now, and best so far ('though still not quite where I want to be). I will get some money back, although certainly not enough to pay for next year's entry fee again. I just about broke even in the brackets department; a 136 to start doubles kept it from being profitable.

Before I post the scores, here are the top good and bad takeaways from this year:

- I'm getting better at reading lanes.  I just need to do them more quickly.
- I also need to know my equipment better as far as what each ball will do in comparison to each other.
- Spare shooting still needs improvement.  This will be, and I mean it this time (no, really I do), a top priority over the summer and next year.
- Another priority will be to work on hand positions at release.
- As much fun as I had this year, being on a team of ten guys who are all on the same "page" will be a goal of mine. Next year would be nice, but it may take more time than that.
- Consistent with what I think about my league bowling, I need to better focus in the earlier frames of my games.

To that last point, consider these stats for my nine games:

Open Frames: 18
Open Frames after the 5th frame: 7
Of the 7 open frames, amount in the 136 game: 3
Of the 7 open frames, number in the 11th frame (and thus, not critical): 2

So except for the 136, I'm pleased with how I was able to "hunker down" to get the most of my games despite some rough starts. I was also generally pleased with my ability to focus on most of my shots.  The goal of course is 100%...someday.

OK, enough geek stuff, here's the image of every game, frame-by-frame, from the opening nerve-induced three-count (which I converted), to the closing missed spare, that even though I just got done saying wasn't critical, it did cost me $7.50 in brackets, as I ended up tying one of them.






















One thing I can't figure out: An asterisk on the sheet means it was a split. So why, in game two of my singles event, is there an asterisk before my strike in the tenth frame? Perhaps readers from the bowling community can help me out with that.

3 comments:

Larry Rubinow said...

Asterisk indicates positive drug test. :)

Anonymous said...

First, great bowling! It's tough to put together 9 solid game but you came close. I hope to average my league average (196) when we're there in May. Last year was 190 and given my history in Nationals it was a major success. As for the *, this is a guess, but was the 8-count fill ball in the 12th a split? Maybe that's where the * prints on the form.

TSnide said...

LOL Larry. Maybe they test for caffeine.

Joe, I don't remember, but I'm thinking you're right, because I remember going through the nose and just being happy with the pin count, considering.