Monday, December 29, 2008

Plinko or Ice Hockey?

Hockey again...

So I'm watching the Wild game tonight, and Calgary gets a goal by intentionally re-directing the puck into the net with a skate, while voluntarily in the goal crease before the puck.

I'm not too much of a purist, but this is a bad combination. I suppose the rules that allow it stem from the infamous Brett Hull goal that won a Stanley Cup, plus the NHL trying to get more scoring to help with fan interest.

I don't intend on making this a long "what the NHL needs to do" post. I just want to point out that it does not need to allow ridiculous goals just to increase scoring. They won't gain any fans with this, and they'll lose paying fans like myself.

I'm in favor of scaling back the goaltending equipment size, or even enlargening the nets by three inches in height and width. (Yes, I have my reasons for such blasphemy.)

But encouraging silly goals like the one I saw tonight? No way.

No comments: