Sunday, August 31, 2008

Cheese Curds and Booger Jokes

My wife and I took our boys to the Great Minnesota Get Together today. It's expensive as usual, parking is terrible, the crowds are annoying, making it very slow to get through pushing two toddlers in a double stroller, Williams and Ree were doing the same shtick I first saw them do 25 years ago, my belly is about to explode and my wallet is empty.

And I'm sure I'll happily be back next year.

I have no idea what it is about the Minnesota State Fair, but I love it...always have, always will. I even miss the days my dad would look at all of the newest combines on machinery hill, as boring as that could be.

I didn't get to see everything I wanted to, as usual. Some year I am going to spend the whole day there alone to just take in what I want to take in. But sharing time with the family was still worth the trip and then some.

When I do go alone, I hope Williams and Ree will be there again so I can take in their whole program. I still enjoy their booger humor, sung to John Anderson's "Swingin'." (How do I punctuate the end of that sentence correctly?) I even enjoy their serious music, even though the three songs they sang tonight was about as much country music as I voluntarily listened to all year. It's kind of cool to think of the nice living these guys have made for themselves doing something they love for some three decades (or more?).

For the record here's what I ate at the Fair, between 6:00pm and 10:00 pm:

Cheese Curds
Pineapple milk shake
Sweet Martha's cookies
Strawberry malt (yeah, I like malts and shakes...what of it?)
Onion Rings
Bull Bites
Taffy
Pepsi

I still feel stuffed (it's 11:15 pm), I'm sure I'll get heartburn tonight, but I have no regrets. And come tomorrow, I'll do my best to finish off the Sweet Martha's and the Salt Water Taffy we brought home.

2 comments:

Scooter said...

I had a blackberry malt, chocolate malt (kiwanis) and half of a raspberry malt - I understand the appeal.

TSnide said...

Never had a blackberry malt, but as I've never met a malt I didn't like, it sounds good!