Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Russian Twist to my Workouts

My wife and I went shopping on Black Friday, and then again on Cyber Monday. We didn't go crazy, and it was all under our budget. But we did buy for ourselves as well as others. We sacrificed the real killer deals in order to avoid the early morning Friday madness.

One of the things I did not get a deal on was a kettlebell. You can Google it, but if you don't know what a kettlebell is, imagine a round purse filled with lead. In my case, 45 pounds of lead.

It's a "Russian Secret" piece of exercise equipment I've been reading about from Pavel Tsatsosomethingorother for quite a few years now. It's becoming more mainstream, but the problem Saturday was that where I found them on sale, Sports Authority, the heaviest weight in stock was 30 pounds. So I paid full price at the Bloomington Dick's Sporting Goods to get a 45-pounder at full price, which was still less than anyplace online.

Why 45 pounds? Ego, of course. In a recent fitness magazine, there were recommended weights for a person's first kettlebell. "Average man" was recommended to get a 35-pounder, "strong man" was 44 pounds, and "strength athlete" was 53 pounds. (I'm not sure why the strange gaps in weights...probably because many companies make these lead purses in metric weights, or something like that.)

I at least showed a little humility in not getting the 53-pounder.

Anyway, I'm still feeling the effects of my first kettlebell workout two nights ago. Four supersets of 10 Sumo lifts and 10 "swings," as recommended for a person's first kettlebell workout in the same magazine. It was aerobic as much as it was anaerobic. I used a few muscles in ways I haven't in quite a while.

Supposedly, when I get "hooked" on kettlebell workouts, I will want to upgrade by adding a 53-pounder to the mix, even reaching 70 pounds some day.

We'll see how it goes. I may opt for a Joey Tribbiani-type man purse instead.

No comments: