Saturday, March 7, 2009

Expiration Dates Revisited

I had some Act I microwave popcorn I found in the back of the Lazy Susan ready to nuke as a post-Gophers-basketball-game depression snack. Before putting it in, I noticed the "Best By Jun 2006" stamp on it. (Yes, "June" was abbreviated, saving the corporation's shareholders untold millions in ink expense, which is especially important in these times. Except it was printed before Jun 2006, at least a couple years before "these times" began.)

So I threw out the bag, which is pretty ridiculous on a few levels:

1) I have three other bags from the same box, which I did not throw out; I'm too lazy to go back to the Lazy Susan. I'm not sure if that is technically ironic, but it sounds like...something.
2) As hot as it gets in a microwave, any dangerous spoilage that may have occurred due to the age of the prodcut would likely have been completely fried.
3) I highly doubt any serious spoilage did occur. That stuff is probably suitable for bomb shelters.
4) Even if spoilage is not the issue, but simply product freshness/quality is, am I really that picky? No, not one bit. As evidenced by my second choice: Orville Redenbacher Organic low-cal, stamped "Best By Dec 2008," and slightly burnt.

I think I threw out the wrong bag.

No comments: