Sunday, March 15, 2009

Idle Thoughts while Watching Golf

I don't have much on my mind today, but since it's been a week since I've blogged, I figured I'd better just get online and start writing. Watching golf and blogging beats putting away the several dozen books that my two youngest scattered about.

I've got three projects at work that I need to work on tonight. Plus, tomorrow I begin performance reviews for my 12 reports. By day's end Friday, they will be done. Normally, performance management is probably the least desirable part of being a Lead or Manager. But I'm pretty blessed to have a such a great team, so it should be mostly positive. I think the worst part of my job is never feeling caught up, and never being able to erase work from my mind, even while on vacation.

Speaking of which, my wife and I narrowed down Myrtle Beach as our vacation spot in late April. We went there in 2003, before we were married. That year, we went in mid-March. This year it will be warmer, so we may actually spend time on the beach. It will be my sixth visit to the Grand Strand. Oddly, I'm really not a huge advocate of the place. In some spots it's kind of dirty and second-rate, and these days the courses are overpriced, unless you get a good package deal. I just love the volume of golf available there, plus the seafood buffets.

One thing I've noticed about golf trips, and I've taken many of them, the best of which included the Prince course at Princeville, Poipu Bay, and Kauai Lagoons' Kiele course: there really is no better golf to be found than right here in Minnesota. The Classic, Deacon's Lodge, and the Cragun's courses hold their own against any other resort courses I've played.

Now, I have yet to play Pebble Beach, but from what I hear, it's the scenery that makes it worth the trip. The course itself, while very good, is no better than many other 4 1/2-star courses you'll find listed in Golf Digest's Best Places to Play.

Again, that's what I hear, or rather, have read. I still intend to see for myself someday.

2 comments:

Mac Noland said...

While their are more prestigious coarse in the world, I've always felt that Minnesota has some of the best golf, for the value, in the United States.

I played the Kapalua course a few years go for $250. After I finished, Jen asked me how it went, I said that while I'm glad I played, I would have enjoyed three rounds at a nice Minnesota course just as much.

TSnide said...

No doubt about it. Even the Wilds, which was once terribly expensive for this area, but has not raised their price while the other high-end courses have caught or passed them in price, is a bargain compared to many resort courses.