Thursday, October 8, 2009

Game 163

I was in attendance at the Metrodome for the 12-inning thriller over Detroit Tuesday night. I will post some pictures when I get them loaded.

Being how hard I have been on MLB umpires, I would imagine some might wonder what I thought of the no-call on Brandon Inge's jersey getting hit by a pitch, which would have led to the go-ahead run for the Tigers. I have complained most vociferously in the past when the calls have gone against my Twins.

I suppose people would accuse me of bias when I say this: the umpire did the right thing. With 54,000 yelling, it's not reasonable to expect him to hear the jersey getting clipped. It was also not enough contact to be obvious visually. When faced with no evidence, the umpire must not make the HBP call. Believe me or not, but that's my opinion on the matter regardless of whom is victimized by the non-call.

In the 2003 Minnesota Corporate State Softball Tournament, my team finished second. During the championship game, I was playing first base. On one play, a grounder was hit against us, the infielder threw it wildly, and I awkwardly reached and made a desperate tag on the runner, barely getting him on his backside before he touched first. The umpire called him safe.

I didn't say a word, but the umpire could tell by my reaction that I was extremely disappointed in the call. So much so, that in the next inning, he apologized to me. I told him, "Hey, you made the call you had to make. It was a wild throw and I wasn't able to make an assertive tag. You were positioned correctly, and if you didn't see the tag, and I didn't give you reason to assume it was made, you had to call him safe." Or words to that effect.

What I was so upset at was that it came to that - a bad break - not that the ump failed me. Hearing Inge's post-game comments, it seemed like he rightfully felt a little bit the same way. Some blown calls you cannot blame the umpire for, but rather simple bad luck, like a bad hop or a lost ball in the sun (or roof, or lights).

Another thing about the Inge at bat: If the ump makes the right call and gives him the base, and the Tigers win, then I would be pushing for a new rule about players' jerseys. Inge looked like he was wearing a circus tent. In the spirit of the HBP rule, a player should not take a free base just for wearing a jersey fit for an NHL goaltender.

Oh, man, don't get me started on goalie equipment. Maybe this winter I'll write about that. In the mean time, go Twins. See if you can't steal one from the Yankees tomorrow.

No comments: