Monday, October 19, 2009

Moron, err, More on Baseball Announcing

Throughout the MLB postseason, I have been cringing at Chip Caray's inability to distinguish between a fly ball, a soft-liner, and a flare. In the bottom of the ninth of tonight's Philadelphia win over LA, to put the Phillies up three games to one, he did it again. It was a soft liner to third, and he called it a fly.

Still, I never thought he would become his late grandfather so soon in life, until I heard his call on the game-winning hit. "Here comes the throw home," he yelled, exactly while the ball was coming in to the second baseman. There never was a throw home as the winning run crossed the plate.

Yikes. I'm guessing I would still prefer Caray for the course of a full season over the Twins' announcers.

2 comments:

Mac Noland said...

Trader. Dick and Bert do a fine job.

TSnide said...

I should clarify. I was referring to the radio duo, Gordon and Gladden. I do thing bert is a little too one-dimensional and predictable, but I'm fine with keeping him and Dick.