Monday, November 16, 2009

Bobcat at Acme Comedy Company

I saw Bobcat Goldthwait at Acme Comedy Company over the weekend with my wife, two sisters, and nephew. I wasn't disappointed, although he did use more of his older material than I expected from a guy who is going out on the road for the first time in a while.

By "older material," I am not referring to his Police Academy days. More around the time he started cutting his hair and had lost a lot of weight.

Looking back on his Police Academy days, I always thought Bobcat looked like an overweight Andre Agassi. Now that he has gained back the weight he lost (and then some), chopped his ever-receding hair, he once again looks like an overweight Andre Agassi. He even sounds a bit like Andre since he has dropped the screaming lunatic bit from his act. ("After about twenty minutes of that, it gets really f***ing annoying," said Bobcat, to which the audience roared.)

His best joke of the night was (supposedly) a true story, and was very politically incorrect. Well, the story was P.I., but if you found it funny, you were too. Remember Johnny Carson's classic Carnac "sis-boom-bah" joke, and subsequent audience reaction? It was reminiscent of that.

Not everyone got the punchline immediately, but everyone eventually came around, and the more one thought of it and visualized what he described, the louder one laughed. So it was just a long drawn-out laughter from the full-house crowd. It was probably the longest I recall in my years of seeing stand-up, rivaled perhaps by Emo Philips' non-alcohol beer joke, and Steven Wright's shoreline fishing joke.

Let me know if you want to know the jokes I'm referring to. I'm refraining because I don't have enough time to post it all tonight (the Goldthwait joke was a long story), I don't want to disappoint if you don't find them funny, and I don't want anyone to know how much I enjoyed a politically incorrect joke.

I'll just tell you the Goldthwait punchline:

"Firetruck?!"

No comments: