Tuesday, November 17, 2009

LPGA Popularity

I watched the re-run last night of Michelle Wie winning her first ever LPGA tournament, narrowly defeating, among others Paula Creamer.

The LPGA tour had 34 tournaments in 2008, 27 in 2009, and is scheduled for 23 in 2010. I don't get it. Why the LPGA tour is not more popular now than ever before is a bit puzzling to me.

Yes, I know the economy is in the dumper still. Yes, I know with the increase of non-American born players, it is possible American fans have felt a bit disconnected.

But come on. Natalie Gulbis. Michelle Wie. Paula Creamer. And those are just the famous ones. Sex sells, so they say, and the LPGA tour has never been sexier.

It may be controversial, but the new LPGA commissioner needs to use the tour's sex appeal.

As Michelle McGann once said long ago, when the aforementioned ladies were in diapers (if that yet), "I don't know why people wouldn't want to come out and see our pretty faces."

My personal golf crush? Suzann Pettersen. But that can change day-to-day.

No comments: