Thursday, January 21, 2010

Air America

It appears Air America, the liberal radio network that wanted to offset Hannity, Limbaugh, et al, is going dark. As a left-of-center ex-radio guy, my honest feeling is good riddance.

I've always believed there is a huge market for liberal radio. It should be simple to fulfill, really: Hire good radio broadcasters with liberal leanings; don't hire liberal leaning folks and hope they'll make for good radio. Yet Air America never seemed to get it.

To wit: I love Al Franken's writing, and when I read transcripts of what he says, I tend to appreciate that, too. But he flat-out sucked as a radio host.

I don't mind conservative thinking; I have right-of-center views on more than a couple issues. But Limbaugh and Hannity, while I admit are very good as radio hosts, are scum of the earth in my book. I just want an honest argument, and right-wing radio fails miserably in that regard (not that liberal radio is perfect).

There is good liberal radio out there: Stephanie Miller, Rachel Maddow, and Ed Schultz immediately come to mind. Finding corporate sponsorship is no doubt more difficult for the format than it is for conservative radio. But the main problem liberal radio has had is that, so far, it has not found the right mix of talent and (lack of) scruples from its lineup to challenge the big boys on the right.

2 comments:

Scooter said...

I think the only show my wife listened to on Air America was the Stephanie Miller show, but it sounds like AM950 will keep the show and several others. In their link about the bankruptcy, they point out exactly what you state - you can be profitably market liberal radio.

http://www.am950ktnf.com/node/5450

TSnide said...

Thanks for the link. I like Stephanie Miller despite not being as liberal as she. Of course she, as well as Ed Schultz and some others, is not Air America. Her program is syndicated, and because of the strength of such shows, AM 950 should be just fine. That said, Thom Hartman isn't exactly a dynamic host, but he has an OK niche carved out. A lot of the local programming on 950 needs work though.