Monday, March 8, 2010

Schweigert to be the Target Field Hot Dog Supplier

I grew up on knothole days at the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington. The simple memories of those games at the Met I will treasure forever. The first view of the outfield lights while pulling closer to the field by the Northwest Orient Airlines hangars. The anticipatory walk from the Thunderbird Motel parking lot (where Mom would park for free, and never got caught). And those wonderful 50-cent Schweigert hot dogs (and 50-cents was expensive back in 1975!!).

Remember this jingle from the '70s?:

What could be better on a sunny day
Than watching the Twins winning all the way
And sittin' in the stands and shoutin' "Hurray!"
With a hot dog
Schweigert hot dog

It's the one you get
When you're at the Met
'Cause going to the ballgame is great fun
And Schweigert makes it better

Yes, I remember it word-for-word, and could sing it, too.

This is going to be one fun summer at Target Field. The only thing they could have done to make it better was to schedule a June 26 game against the White Sox. I can see Joe Mauer raising his average to .406, Jim Thome getting eight RBIs and a grand slam. All while my kids wear their promotional Joe Mauer jerseys.

Those of you in my age group probably know exactly what I'm referring to. Others may check out these links to appreciate it, and hopefully catch Twins fever: June 26, 1977. Patrick Reusse's 30th anniversary column.

Here's a telling difference between the Met and the Metrodome: The Metrodome provided me many terrific memories because of the teams on the field. The Met provided many terrific memories because of the ball park. (And because, of course, I was a much more impressionable youngster.)

Here's hoping Target Field will be the best of both, starting in 2010. And here's to Schweigert making it better!

4 comments:

GZimmy said...

Yeah, thanks for the memories! The links were great, especially Reusse's column!

TSnide said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I am thrilled that my kids will get to build memories of going to a real ball park to watch Major League Baseball

Mac Noland said...

Man you're old. I mean that only in the nicest of ways.

TSnide said...

No offense taken, Mac. Just like when you called Scooter and me "codgers" on your blog, I'm sure it was meant with complete respect and compassion.