Saturday, July 19, 2008

Shark Attacks!

I was going to post about my 78 today at Inver Wood (77 after ESC...no bogeys today; 3 birdies, 3 doubles and a triple, the rest pars), but I'm just too excited for Greg Norman.

Of all the majors, and I still don't know which is my favorite, The Open is the one I look forward to most the night before each round because, duh, it's on the tube as soon as I get up. How cool would it be to see Norman win tomorrow?

First, he'd get to play at least one more Masters tournament. His chances of finally winning would be slim, but it would be a great scene as he makes his last putt on 18.

Second, I hate the "choker" and "over-rated" labels put on him. The "choker" label is unfair and only tells a small part of the story of his terrific career. The "over-rated" label is simply founded on ignorance. If anything, because of the stigma attached to his near-misses, he has been underrated.

Remember when Joe Montana handed Cincinnatti the Super Bowl in '89 with an easy interception in the end zone? No, you don't, because the easy INT was dropped. Joe and the Niners took advantage, and in one game Joe went from a choker to people calling him the greatest QB of all time.

I would hope a win at the Open for Norman tomorrow would erase his "choker" image once and for all.

No comments: