Monday, October 20, 2008

Banking on a Healthy 2009

I've decided to roll the dice a little during open enrollment (for health insurance at my work) this year. For the first time in...ever?...health insurance is not going up for us if we keep last year's plan. But this year, despite having five kids, I have decided to take a chance and raise the deductible and raise the maximum out-of-pocket expenses on my insurance.

The more kids one has, the greater the chances something expensive could go wrong regarding their health. But worst-case scenario (money wise, not health-wise, heaven forbid) is that we would end up spending $11,000 out-of-pocket this year, including deductibles. That would pretty much drain our non-retirement reserves, unless it happened after a couple things mature.

The plus of course is that our monthly premiums will go down. I'm gambling on good health in 2009 for the whole family. I'm hoping for it, too, and not just because of the money.

No comments: