Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Fun

I enjoy Jim Gaffigan's take on Easter (Youtube it if you're unfamiliar. Or maybe on Comedycentral.com). I think he could have expanded it, however. My own experience is that for the brief 3 minutes of excitement the toddlers enjoy, the rest is horrendous.

It's like Halloween without the fun. Just a pile of candy all at once. Then they don't want to eat Easter dinner - just the candy. And then they get everything sticky and chocolatey and everything-elsey. All to celebrate the one who died for our sins coming out of the ground, although he never really died, as he was his own all-powerful dad all along; and trust me, he will return again any day now.

I'm not making fun of the religion, so please don't scream blasphemy. I just think the religion is confusing enough for kids to learn and accept; you don't need to add giant, scary rabbits hiding painted eggs and marshmallow chicks to the mix until they can handle the scary religion part first. And keep their grubby hands off the furniture.

No comments: