Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Give Me One Large Enough, and I Can Move the World

We white collar types who sit in too many meetings each day all have our pet peeves, but I am really beginning to hate the word "leverage," particularly when used as a verb.

Leverage as a business term is fine as a metaphorical noun. Usually. If you are utilizing something as a tool with which to gain leverage, i.e., multiply your power/ability to perform a task, it works just fine to say you've gained leverage.

Leverage should not be used as a word to simply replace the word "use." Or should I say, it should not be leveraged to simply replace the word "use."

"Let's leverage that spreadsheet to improve the process." Uggh.

I guess I should be thankful I have a job that pays me relatively well, and allows me to use such language, excuse me, leverage such language, without having to actually add any intellect to my intelligence-based (allegedly) job.

I think I'll call a meeting to brainstorm around this a little more.

2 comments:

MeanMrMustard said...

Excellent idea about the meeting, Todd. Open a dialog. Be proactive.

TSnide said...

We could really streamline processes then.