Friday, July 3, 2009

Does Grandma Have Caller ID?

I just saw a story on the news about a young woman facing felony charges for alleged prank calls she made to her grandmother. Forty-five of them.

"We were bored one night," she said, and at the time thought it would be fun. Things like death threats...yeah, a real hoot.

I did something similar, once. Something the neighbor kids remembered for years, and every time people hear the story, they laugh like it's the most hilarious thing they ever heard. There are many to this day who remember me pretty much only for being the kid who did this.

I egged my own house.

(Let's pause a bit while you clean up the Coke Zero off your monitor.)

Now, to be fair to myself, I was about six I suppose, and didn't quite understand what it meant to egg a house, nor the difficulty in cleaning up the mess. Some random person had done it, and I thought it would be funny.

What's not funny about breaking eggs for reasons other than cooking or baking? Don't you crack a smile just thinking about Ralph Macchio taking an egg to the face as he danced with Elisabeth Shue in "The Karate Kid?"

I'm sure my dad wasn't too proud of me, but unlike phone-prank lady, I learned my lesson young. And it was only one egg.

No comments: