Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Jesus H. Mauer!!

OK, so after a few oh-fers, the Mauer Number is now -5. I would link to the post from where the Mauer Number comes, but I post so infrequently these days, you'll find it just below the post below this one.

When the number hits -10, I won't keep track of it anymore. Kind of like in 1982 when the St. Paul Pioneer Press kept track of the Twins vs. the 1962 New York Mets. For a while, it looked like the Twinkees would match the Miserable Mets' record for futility, but eventually, the Twins started playing near-.500 ball, so the Press stopped the daily comparisons, and even offered the local nine their apologies for doing it.

I may need to apologize for jinxing Mauer. Even though SI put him on the cover, and he was batting .407 at press time, and has since tanked to .386, I know it was the Snide Jinx that really got him.

Hopefully this post will un-jinx him, and he'll go 5-for-5 tonight to get back to .400 (above, actually). I'll settle for 9-for-the-next-15, or 13-for-the-next-25; that'll still get the job done.

(For the record, I do not believe in jinxes of any sort...I just felt I should post more than, "Looks like that .400 talk was premature, like I predicted. Oh well.")

1 comment:

Mac Noland said...

383 now. I think you jinxed him even more.