Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Snoozing and Losing

As a radio geek and bowling nerd (or is that radio nerd and bowling geek?), I totally blew two opportunities recently.

First, as I reported previously, the Airport Bowl closed its doors. They had an auction on K-BID to liquidate everything. Yes, everything, including their lanes and pinsetters.

I'm not upset about missing out on buying my own set of lanes for the pole shed out back. That would have been so cool, and cheap, but the buyer had to pick it up, which I wouldn't have been able to do. Plus, I don't have a pole shed.

I'm only a little upset at missing out on the several brightly colored house balls, weighing about 6-7 pounds each, the ball racks, various office furniture, etc. What I'm really upset at is that an autographed photo of Kelly Kulick went for only $7.10. Yeah, that's kind of geeky, but follow Kulick's link, and you'll see how incredible an athlete (yes, athlete) she is. I kept telling myself to check in on it just before it closes, and then I got distracted for a few hours, and missed out.

The other thing I missed out on was an original 1965 Minnesota Twins record album, "The Last of the Ninth." I listened for hours to the 1969 Twins LP, "Martin's Marauders" in my youth. Herb Carneal, Merle Harmon, and Halsey Hall. Gordo and Dazzle couldn't carry their jocks.

My uncle still has the record and has told me one day he will copy it to CD for me. How cool would it have been for me to present him with a copy of the 1965 album when he did? Pretty cool, says the geek.

I missed out on this almost the same way as the Kulick photo: I saw it on e-Bay, and forgot to follow-up as the closing date/time drew near. It sold for $20.

No comments: