Monday, December 20, 2010

It's Hard to Bowl With Your Hands Around Your Neck

Long-time Twins fans will recognize the Gary Gaetti reference in the title of this post. It comes from after the game in late September 1984 in which the Twins had a 10-0 lead, only to lose by allowing 11 runs, thereby throwing their pennant hopes away, almost literally. Gaetti made his quote when remarking after the game on a costly throwing error of his.

It was also in the 1980s when I bowled my first and only officially sanctioned perfect 300 game (February 8, 1988 to be exact). And speaking of 11-10, this past Tuesday in league night, I was perfect into the 10th frame, and made strikes on number 10 and 11. One more strike and I'd have my second perfecto in almost 23 years.

Sadly, I pulled a G-Man, let the adrenaline get to me, put too much speed on the final shot, and threw away a second 300, winding up with a six-count (leaving the 2-4-5-8 "bucket"). Yes, a six-count, for a 296. I could have done better throwing a straight ball. Actually, I did kind of throw a straight ball...that was the problem; it was supposed to hook more.

I placed it right where I wanted to. Bo Burton was famous for saying on the old PBA telecasts that direction is 95 percent of the game. That's not true anymore, what with today's technology. And it wasn't true for me last Tuesday night.

I only hope it's not another 22+ years before finding myself in that position again.

No comments: