Friday, April 8, 2011

Bowling Chick Flick?

For the last five years or so, I've wanted to write a screen play. I have yet to start it, but my idea is around a junior bowler, and it is not a comedy. I know, how boring. And geeky.

Geeky is good...see Star Wars, for one. But the junior bowling geek niche might not be quite strong enough to make up for the potential lack of appeal to the general populous.

That's OK, though, because a good story with characters you care about can be about Tiddly Winks and still be successful.

Now, I hear about this movie in production, entitled Split, and am concerned that someone might be beating me to the punch, even though it is a romantic comedy. Then again, perhaps it will be the start of a new genre of bowling-themed movies, and thereby create a demand for my masterpiece.

At the very least, I hope it's done well enough to represent the sport and its enthusiasts well. Regardless of whether it does either, I can just about guarantee it will feature, at some point in the movie, a bowler getting a Brooklyn strike, and acting like he meant to do it.

As I've written before, I can tolerate bowling movies where the actors are clearly poor bowlers, but Brooklyn strikes shown as the norm? I hate when that happens!

(P.S. After writing the above and then Googling to find a hyperlink to information on the movie, I found an informational trailer, which showed part of the in-progress production. Sure enough, it shows a bowler throwing a Brooklyn strike, not even a solid one at that, and then acting cocky afterward. Arggh!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tsnide, there should indeed be more bowling movies. You'll like this story...for the last two years in Reno, Rick Steelsmith and Justin Hromak bowled right after our team squad on our same pair. As we were leaving and they were coming, I told Hromak (who was one of the "extras" in the movie "Kingpin") that he could have beaten Ernie McCracken if he only had the chance. We had a good laugh.

I finally put a link up to your blog on my page...sorry for the delay, it's been a crazy year so far. Bowl well in Reno!!!

Joe

TSnide said...

Pretty cool. We had some "local" celebrities when I was out there. Fun to watch, but didn't rub off on me at all!