Saturday, April 30, 2011

Reunion Tours

In a post entitled Time Passage, I talked about the phenomenon of time passing faster the older you get. A perfect example came up when I found out the Monkees are reuniting for a tour this year, as well as Deborah Gibson and Tiffany.

It was 25 years ago when I saw the Monkees on their reunion tour at the old Carlton Celebrity Room in Bloomington, Minnesota. A whopping 18 years after their TV show was canceled, I was a 20-year-old marveling at how long it had been since I had seen the show on re-runs (a whole 9 years or so!), and getting a kick out of me seeing them and others (Herman's Hermits and Gary Puckett included) play the moldy oldies.

Now, some 23-ish years since Deborah and Tiffany were staples on pop radio, it seems like nothing. And they still seem young. Crazy.

I look at photos of the Monkees (again without Michael Nesmith, who perhaps doesn't need the money as much), like the one here, and can't believe how old they are. Peter Tork looks every bit of his 69 years, although I'm sure I thought he looked an ancient 44 back in '86. Hell, I'm 44, turning 45 in three days!

I'm sure 25-years from now, I'll marvel at how quickly time has flown again, and Deborah Gibson, in her mid-sixties, will still be that kid who just can't shake my love.

No comments: