Thursday, April 21, 2011

What Are They Teaching Them?

Tonight my wife and I took our five-year-old to his kindergarten school's open house. He was very excited to see what a "big kid" school looked like. Everything looked tiny to me (classrooms, gymnasium, cafeteria, etc.), but to a child of five, it must have looked larger than life.

There was a lot of artwork on display as we toured the hallways. We saw students' pictures of the Titanic, Japanese culture, and more. One of the first class projects we saw on display was skyscrapers. Accompanying the childrens' pictures were factual tidbits.

One student's drawing was of the Eiffel Tower. According to the student, the Eiffel Tower was completed in 1889, is 1063 feet tall, and is the largest man-made structure in the world.

"Is?," I asked myself. Um, teacher?

Perhaps they just need to update the encyclopedias in the "big kid" library.

No comments: