Tuesday, January 31, 2012

More Bitterness: Super Bowl Broadcasting Pet Peeves

This isn't against any broadcasters in particular, but in the general consensus there seems to be among NFL historians that even though a Super Bowl occurred in one year, they call it the Super Bowl of the previous year. It gets especially annoying this time of year, when 'round-the-clock, so it seems, we see highlights from past Super Bowls and Super Bowl teams.

I get it that "The 1998 Vikings" is the correct or best way to refer to the 15-1 team that came a dropped interception* away from reaching the big game. But when the announcer calls the Super Bowl they failed to reach, "The 1998 Super Bowl," I just scratch my head.

More like beat it with my open palm.

It almost sorta-kinda made sense back in the day when the Super Bowl and some playoff games were the only games played after the new year. But now all of the postseason, and even some regular season games occur in the new year. We won't call the NHL finale this spring, "The 2011 Stanley Cup Finals." Nor should we call this Sunday's game, "The 2011 Super Bowl."

But people will, I'm sure. People with jobs about which I'm bitter that I don't have, and that I'm sure I could do better, even though I never proved it when I had the chance.


*That missed INT was every bit as easy as Anderson's missed FG, and it occurred afterwards, with no time for Atlanta to make a comeback. So unlike the missed FG that most historians mention, I look at THAT play as the one that really cost the Vikes a trip to the Show.

No comments: