Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Worst Night of League Bowling in Years

I bowled a 491 series tonight.  My final game was 134.  I have been racking my brain to find reasons, not excuses, so that I can learn from this and never allow it to happen again.

I had 702 last week, which was only that low because I inexplicably threw a seven count, after 19 strikes in 21 shots, and then whiffed the spare, in my final frame. 

That final frame was pretty much how my night went tonight. I've been experimenting with some changes (again) and after last week, which included a 279 game (perfection missed due to a ringing 10-pin in the 9th), I thought I was making progress.

Some of it was beyond my control.  Most of it was not. I am trying to use the Anthony Robbins mind trick of asking myself, "What is great about what happened tonight?"

One answer, if I try seriously, is that it is an opportunity to truly learn so that it never happens again.  Oh, I'm sure it will happen again on a sport shot in some tournament some time.  But not on a house shot on league night.  Since starting up bowling again five seasons ago, it's my only sub-500 series.  My second lowest was somewhere in the 540s.  The 134 is, I think, my lowest league game since starting up again.

I should probably do it now, but I am going to wait until I've cooled down a bit more to think more clearly, to start the brainstorming session.  The downside of waiting is that I may forget some things, but I doubt I'll forget much of the important stuff.  As surreal as it was, I think it's been planted in my brain pretty firmly for a while.

No comments: