Sunday, January 11, 2009

An Ironic Awakening

Our three-year-old slept with us again Friday night. (He sleeps with us most nights, but that's a blog entry for another day.) He sleeps between us, and has a way of turning his body perpendicular to ours', and pushing off with his feet (not quite what I would call "kicking") against one of us.

This time I was his leg press of choice. So sometime in the middle of the night, in my attempt to re-position him while I was 75% asleep and 100% grumpy, I knocked over half a can of soda on my cluttered nightstand. Had it not been for the clutter, the can would have just been nudged harmlessly six inches or so. It landed on the cluttered floor next to my side of the bed.

So I got myself up to the point of being 50% awake and 150% grumpy, and grabbed a towel to sop up the spilled soda. Among the things the soda spilled on was a book I have half-finished reading, "Getting Things Done," by David Allen. The first 100-or-so pages were doused in Diet A&W (Coke Zero was not on sale last time I had gone to the store).

If you are not familiar with it, the book is a guide to help become productive by helping you get organized. I had last read the part about getting rid of all the clutter off one's metaphorical plate, but hadn't picked up the book since just before Christmas.

Some may call that irony; I think it's more likely karma.

No comments: