Saturday, August 1, 2009

First-Time Seller on eBay

After nearly ten years of buying on eBay, I have finally posted something to sell. Whether this is the seed to my entrepreneurial future, I do not know. (I doubt it.)

Last year, I purchased two full grounds passes to the 2009 PGA Championship. Between my wife and me, we plan on using only the Monday practice round, Thursday round, and Friday round tickets. Saturday is "moving day," and of course Sunday is the final round (weather permitting), so hopefully those will sell at a decent price. I started both pairs at $120 with a "Buy it Now" price of $200. I'll be paying the USPS Priority shipping, nice guy that I am.

If we can fetch close to $400 for the two pairs, that will be nice. It will be worth going to Monday's round, my wife and her mother going Thursday (and seeing/stalking Tiger), and I with a friend (and perhaps my oldest son...kids get in free) on Friday for a net cost of $200 or so.

If it ends up costing more, oh well. The money was spent a year ago, so it'll "feel" like free money when the tickets sell, for whatever they end up going. Sorta like a tax refund...sorta. But they have to sell first.

Plus, the experience will be worth it. I've got an old softball bat that is illegal to use in today's game, but would still probably go for a cool $100. I have some 20-year-old bodybuilding magazines as well, including the rare Bob Paris "coming out" issue of Muscle & Fitness. (What? You don't remember that one?)

Then there's the baseball cards, postage stamps, DVDs....time will tell if selling my PGA tickets creates an eBay selling monster out of me. I'll settle for it paying for my golf habit.

2 comments:

Mac Noland said...

What does your income statement look like now that the tournament is over?

TSnide said...

After the sales, less fees, my Paypal account balance is $377.88. I think I spend about $20 on shipping, so that makes it about $357 or so. So it cost my wife and I about $243 for me to attend Monday's practice round, her and her mom to attend Thursday, and me and a friend to attend Friday. I told my friend to give me $30 and buy me a few beers for his ticket, which means, factoring in the price of beer out there, I just about broke even.