Saturday, August 8, 2009

Harry Must be Proud (Not)

I'll try to make this brief. I have made some of my opinions about MLB umpires known here before, and right now do not really feel the need to rehash a great deal.

Let me also preface my post with this: it is not about winning or losing because of the umpires.

OK, that said, it is time for MLB to use replays on more than just home run calls. The egos of the umpires, and union protection to boot, are too strong. Throw in riding Daddy's coat tails into a career, and you get the comfort level of someone who is too lazy to try to call a good game, not man enough to admit it (100% corrct? Yuh-huh...), and a huge black eye on the reputation of the game.

Two "red flags" a game would be a good system to experiment with. Each umpire gets two red flags to throw during the game to challenge calls. You lose the challenge, you lose the flag. No more than four challenges allowed per nine innings, however (games are long enough).

Again, this is about the integrity of the game, a subject I am especially sensitive to since taking Clark Griffith's Sports Law class in law school.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm referrring to the latest in the Ron Gardenhire v. Hunter Wendelstedt saga. Google it if you don't know. I promised to keep this short.

No comments: